Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Welcome to My Life

Hello Everyone! My name is Sarah, and obviously, this is my blog dedicated to my new life. For the basics, I am a senior student in pre-medical studies and hope to begin medical school in the Fall of 2010. I'm also an EMT, and work in an Emergency Room and love every minute of it. This is my crazy, beautiful life...

On August 21st, 2009, I had a Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy (VSG). As of today, I am officially down 75 lbs, and 20 lb of this total was post-op. In March of 2009, I looked in the mirror and said "this is it, Sarah, we have to do something". I weighed a hefty 283 pounds at 5'7". I began watching my caloric intake, and followed the Low Glycemic Index diet. As of June, I'd lost nearly 50 lbs, but I was ALWAYS hungry! Then I heard about the VSG, and couldn't wait to start my new life.

I was always overweight as a child, and was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome at age 13. I did every plan out there: low carb, low fat, diet pills, etc. It never stayed off.

I'm a little over a month out, and I couldn't be happier with the results. I've had some bumps in the road, but haven't regretted my decision for one minute. I plan on using this blog to share my recipes, successes, failures, and general thoughts on life.

I hope to help any other people out there considering this surgery.

Since I am still on "mushy, soft foods", I found a way to enjoy my italian cravings without the guilt:

Psuedo-Lasanga

1/4 c Low Fat Ricotta Cheese
2 Tbsp Tomato Sauce
1/4 c Fat Free Mozzerella Cheese

Place in coffe mug and microwave for 30 seconds or until cheese is melted.

I was also told this recipe can be converted for "post mushy" foods by adding turkey meatballs. Yum!

Low Sodium Turkey Chili
(This recipe is very large, and can last several days and can serve the whole family)

2 lb Ground Turkey Breast
1/2 large container Low Sodium V8 Juice
1 large can Chili Bean Mix
1 pck Low Sodium Chili Seasoning
2 Green Peppers, sliced
1 Onion, sliced
3 cloves Garlic, crushed
1 can Diced Tomato

Brown turkey and drain. In crock pot, mix remaining ingredients and simmer overnight.

Simple, easy, and can last days!

No comments:

Post a Comment